August 2012: The Cannons Are Back! Cannons are being reinstalled in front of the Martinsvile-Henry County Heritage Center and Museum. The cannons were made at the West Point Foundry in New York possibly after the Civil War. They were refurbished in 1885 and brought to the courthouse grounds in 1901. The cannons are Rodman guns and named after their designer, Thomas Rodman. Each cannon weights about 8 tons. Prior to this event the cannons had been installed upside down and that accounts for the discoloration seen here on top of each cannon. Restoration and upgrading of the cannons and mounts are part of a Garden Club of Virginia landscape restoration project.
How the cannons looked before this move: View Here